Have you ever seen a news report or talk show discuss issues around teaching and learning and thought to yourself or said to your colleagues, “Why don’t they just ask a real teacher?” WTU Teacher Leaders is a union program designed to help make Teachers' voices heard both here in Washington, D.C. and nationally.
WTU Teacher Leaders Tackle Vital Educational Issues
Every year, educators participating in the Teacher Leader program sponsored by the Washington Teachers’ Union (WTU) and its parent organization, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), study cutting edge educational questions and craft recommendations to address them.
Goals of the program:
- Provide Teacher Voice by connecting policy to practice
- Engage teachers in advocacy
- Create a network of teacher leaders conversant in educational topics
- Serve as a sounding board and advisory group for union leaders
- Utilize research to provide evidence and make a case