Check out this week's Professional Development opportunities.
Deadline for Submissions: 4/16/2021
Resources and Programs from the National Museum of African-American History and Culture:
- NMAAHC Educators page: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/educators
- NMAAHC Upcoming Events: https://nmaahc.si.edu/events/upcoming
- Smithsonian Learning Lab: Smithsonian Learning Lab: Discover, Create, Share (si.edu)
- NMAAHC Learning Lab Profile page: https://learninglab.si.edu/org/nmaahc
- Joyful ABC Project: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/early-childhood/joyful-abc-activity-books
- Joyful Fridays: https://nmaahc.si.edu/events/upcoming ; Previously Recorded ones on NMAAHC UStream Channel: NMAAHC (ibm.com)
- Joyful Learning Lab Collection: https://learninglab.si.edu/collections/joyful-abc-activity-books-object-and-photo-collection/LxOtIV0k5WNHblUf
- Talking About Race web portal: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race
- Artful Observations for Educators: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/educators/events/artful-observations
- Smithsonian Summer Sessions for Teachers: Interrogating the Stories We Tell
- Session 1 (June 28-July 2): https://edge.edx.org/courses/course-v1:SmithsonianX+SIED1.1x+2021_T3/about
- Session 2 (July 12-16): https://edge.edx.org/courses/course-v1:SmithsonianX+SIED1.2x+2021_T3/about
WTU Wellness Series with Kaiser Permanente
REGISTER for one or all sessions: https://forms.gle/FP45vPqLSWQqTxqo9
WTU Professional Learning Abroad
There is still time to sign up for the WTU Professional Learning trip to Morocco either this July 2021 or next summer 2022, based on travel guidance. Check out the itinerary here: https://geeo.org/tour/wtumorocco/
THERE IS STILL TIME REGISTER FOR THESE UPCOMING COURSES FROM THE WTU
Registration Fee: $150
Foundations: Organizing the Classroom for Teaching and Learning
Instructor: JoAnn Cornish
9am-1pm; Saturdays: May 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29
RSVP here: https://www.wtulocal6.net/spring_2021_foundations
Hispanic Culture and Spanish Language II
Instructor: Louis Blount
9am-1pm; Saturdays: April 10th, April 24th; May 1st; May 8th; May 22nd
Register here: https://www.wtulocal6.net/spring_2021_-_hispanic_culture_ii
REGISTER NOW FOR THESE FREE PD WORKSHOPS FROM THE WTU
Flagway/Math Literacy PD (Monday, April 12 @ 4:30-6:30pm)
Instructor: Raphael Bonhomme
Be a part of a community of DC educators who are transforming the way math instruction is delivered to students!!! "The goal of The Flagway™ Game is to create environments where students can practice and celebrate learning math. There are many ways to create a cultural context in which mathematics emerges naturally from students’ experience. One method used by the YPP and the Algebra Project is to create mathematically rich games and experiences." Find more info here: http://www.typp.org/flagway. Participants will receive 3 PLU’s per session. RSVP here: https://www.wtulocal6.net/spring_2021_flagway_coaching_sessions
Outdoor Classrooms Series with the Nature Lab (Next Session: Saturday 5/1)
Please join the Nature Lab to share resources, best practices and lesson plans that leverage outdoor spaces and create a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to learning using the outdoors.
RSVP HERE: https://forms.gle/MakShacEnQ9ytPxj9
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy (4-6pm; Monday 4/26 and Wednesday 4/28)
Research suggests that students from diverse cultures may need to be engaged differently in ways that support their self-efficacy, esteem and their learning. In this 2-part session, we will establish the connection between culture and learning, and explore research-based strategies, such as cultural competency, high expectations and critical consciousness. Participants will receive 8 PLU’s for attending the two-part sessions. Register* for April 26 & 28: https://www.wtulocal6.net/spring_2021_culturally_responsive_pedagogy_20210322
WTU Tech Tool Tuesdays
Register HERE for future PD workshops in this series.
Opportunities from the National Math Alliance
YPP and National Math Festival (NMF) Live Online Weekend, April 16-18, 2021
2021 National Math Festival overview
2021 NMF Live Online Weekend -- register free in Eventbrite: https://tinyurl.com/2021nmf - All events are free and open to the public, with a special focus on welcoming elementary, tweens & teens (and teachers!).
Broward College Minority Teachers Association & Education Pathway presents a webinar Tues., April 13th, 2021, 6:30pm-7:30pm EDT, Florida’s 21st Century Teacher: Lessons From Remote PK-12 Teaching. https://broward-edu.zoom.us/j/93926172862 Please see the event flyer, available here.
NCTM 2021 virtual conf. Closing Session, Saturday, May 1st, 4:45pmET-5:45pmET. Connecting Civil Rights to Math Literacy for All: A Conversation with Bob Moses, Nell Cobb, B.J. Walker and Danny Glover - for info and to register, please see: https://www.nctm.org/Conferences-and-Professional-Development/Virtual-Meetings/VAM2021/Schedule/Closing-Session/
Reminder: MSRI online Workshop on Mathematics and Racial Justice - June 9-11 & June 16-18, 2021 - Sessions will explore the role that mathematics plays in today’s movement for racial justice.