REGISTRATION IS STILL OPEN---WTU Professional Learning - FALL 2021 Course Offerings
Sign up now for amazing, engaging, and informative virtual fall professional development with the WTU including these classes which start within the next two weeks ($150 registration fee; 1 FREE class for new members):
- English Language Learners 101 (starts 10/2)
- Instructional Strategies that Work for All Disciplines (starts 10/2)
- Integration of Computer Technology (starts 10/2)
- Managing Behavior in School Communities (starts 9/22)
- Psychology and Education of Exceptional Children (starts 9/20)
- Reading Comprehension Instruction (starts 10/2)
- Social and Emotional Learning (starts 10/2)
- Successfully Integrating the Arts In Your Classroom (starts 9/25)
FREE WTU Workshops starting in September:
- Excel with ELL’s (9/23 and 9/30)
- The Game Factor (9/25)
- PRAXIS I Core Preparation Class (starts 9/22)
Learn more and Register for all classes HERE.
AETNA Wellness Webinar
The Self-Care Playbook, September 22, 3:00PM-4:00PM
What does it mean to practice good self-care? In this seminar, learn about how you can put together your own personal self-care playbook to make sure you are tending to every aspect of your overall wellbeing in order to feel happier, be more productive and support the ones you love.
Meeting Link: https://lcah.webex.com/lcah/j.php?MTID=m967b90c7fd6549bc01a35069472a3662
Access Code: 1805 56 6538; Password: J9Fcetrfu24
Please Congratulate our SY2021-22 WTU Teacher Leaders
- Staci Adams, Smothers ES
- Fatima Baig, Reed ES
- Dawn Brodus-Yougha, Beers ES
- Amanda D'Angelo, Seaton ES
- Julia DiPiazza, Langdon ES
- Dorothy Graves, Langdon ES
- Hsuan-Ying Liu, Bard Early College HS
- Shaunta Morris, Stanton ES
- Joy Newman, McFarland MS
- Daniel Osborne, CW Harris ES
- Raymond Pyle, Murch ES
- Katie Phillips, Anacostia HS
- Desiree Raught, McKinley Tech HS
“Underreported Stories from Latin America”
During Hispanic Heritage Month, Join the WTU and Pulitzer Center for “Underreported Stories from Latin America” Series (5:30-6:30pm) featuring journalists who have extensive experience reporting on underreported issues facing communities throughout Latin America. The journalists are fluent in English and Spanish, and plan to utilize both languages for the presentations. The reporting they will feature is also available in both English and Spanish.
Underreported Stories from Latin America
- Thursday, September 23 (Ana Maria Arevalo- Exploring the criminal justice system in El Salvador and the impact of the system on women)
- Thursday, September 30 (Pablo Albarenga- Elevating the stories of Indigenous rainforest defenders in the Amazon)
RSVP HERE: https://forms.gle/ma9rNQwZWubQqBNAA
WTU Professional Learning Abroad
There is still time to sign up for the WTU Professional Learning trip to Morocco in July 2022, based on travel guidance. 5% discount through the end of September!!! Check out the itinerary here: https://geeo.org/tour/wtumorocco/.
Energy Curriculum: Energizing Student Potential
Pepco and the Exelon Foundation, in partnership with the National Energy Education Development (NEED) Project, are offering the Energizing Student Potential (ESP) program all schools in DC. Designed for grades 3-8, but flexible for early elementary or high school grades, this program brings together a standards-based energy curriculum for use by educators and afterschool program leaders. ESP is designed to help educators bring energy into the school and provide all the tools and resources necessary for students and educators to learn together, explore energy together, and teach their local communities about energy while learning about energy careers as well. The program includes teacher training, hands-on materials kits, grants for classrooms, and lots of great opportunities for networking and engaging with STEM professionals in the region. Visit www.need.org/programs/espdcmd/ to learn more and apply by Oct. 1, 2021.
Planet Word’s Night for Educators
Planet Word’s special evening event just for educators will be 9/30 @ 5:30pm. You can read more about the event here: https://planetwordmuseum.org/events/planet-word-loves-teachers/
Additional PD Opportunities are available by clicking on the PD Blog.