Here's What's Brewing Today
Monday, November 28, 2022
We hope you enjoyed the Holiday weekend. We are thankful and grateful for all the organizing and rallying you’ve done to get us to a tentative agreement.
The WTU negotiating team will provide details in a Member Town Hall on Tuesday, November 29 at 4:30PM. The tentative agreement includes a 12.5% raise over 4 years though FY 2023, 4% retention bonus for all teachers, increase in ‘teacher startup funds,’ 2 morning blocks reserved for teacher lead planning, and additional bonuses for teachers in hard to fill positions.
Member Town Hall - Tuesday, November 29 @ 4:30
Meeting ID: 930 4869 7561
Dial in: 301-715-8592
WTU in the news
- Statement from Mayor Bowser, Chancellor Ferebee, and WTU President Pogue Lyons on Tentative Contract Agreement
- Tentative contract agreement reached to provide DC teachers raises - WUSA
- D.C. reaches long-awaited deal with teachers union - The Washington Post
- D.C. School Teachers, Mayor Bowser Reach Tentative Deal – Washington Informer
- DCPS and Washington Teachers' Union reach tentative contract agreement - Axios
- DCPS reaches tentative contract agreement with teachers' union after 3 years - WJLA
- DC Public Schools reaches tentative agreement with teachers' union - FOX
- After Three-Year Impasse, D.C. Public Schools Reach Tentative Agreement With Teachers’ Union - DCist
- Parents Rally Behind DCPS Teachers in Demand for Better Conditions – Washington Informer
- D.C. public school teachers walk out in frustration, no new contract since 2019 – AFRO News
The WTU is deeply concerned about gun violence in our community
Akira Wilson fatally shot at NoMa's Hilton Garden Inn on Saturday - The Washington Post
Teen shot near annual Turkey Bowl in Northeast DC
Looking for a new position? Check out the November listings of instructional and non-instructional vacancies posted here: https://www.wtulocal6.net/open_positions
AM Brew News and Notices will be archived at https://www.wtulocal6.net/AMBrew.
In addition to the events listed below, we encourage you to check out the WTU Members –Only Calendar where you can find a condensed list of upcoming WTU events.
Ward Ed Council Meeting
Tuesday, December 13 at 7pm via Zoom. We will welcome back our new Ward 3 Councilmember, Matt Frumin, and new Ward 3 Representative on the State Board of Education (SBOE), Eric Goulet. They will talk about their priorities for education for the ward and for DC as well as take questions.
Click Here to register to participate!
Contract negotiations are over, but we still have a lot of work in front of us. Please wear red each Friday and post photos to social media. Please tag us @WTUTeacher
Facility Concerns SY 22-23
Over the past two years, the WTU has met regularly to discuss facility issues with DCPS. Yet, many schools continue to have health and safety concerns. We ask that you let the WTU know of any health or safety concerns in your building by completing this brief form.
We’re continuing to update our database.
Please help us ensure we have your current personal contact information on file. Email [email protected] with any questions or to be added to member mailings.