Additional PD highlights are posted to the PD Blog at https://www.wtulocal6.net/pdblog
Discovery Education: Read Across America Day
Discovery Education will be hosting a Virtual Read Aloud event on March 2, 2022 featuring Alice Walker and her book, Sweet People Are Everywhere. Registration is OPEN! Please share with your colleagues, we can’t wait! https://www.discoveryeducation.com/learn/read-across-america/
WTU Professional Learning - SPRING 2022 Course Offerings
Sign up now HERE for amazing, engaging, and informative virtual spring professional development with the WTU including these upcoming classes (1 FREE class for new WTU members):
- English Language Learners 101 (starts 3/5)
- Instructional Strategies (starts 3/5)
- Reading Comprehension (starts 3/5)
- Reclaiming Assessments (starts 3/5)
FREE WTU Workshops starting soon:
- IMPACT PD Workshop on EP’s 3-5 (3/5)
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy (2 parts: 3/5 and 3/12)
- Flagway Math League (next session 3/7)
Ignite My Future Spring Global Innovations Project
This spring our Global Innovations Project will focus on Green Infrastructure using the Ignite My Future lesson Resilient Cities as a basis for the project. Students will use computational thinking to design solutions to enhance their communities leveraging green infrastructure. Please reach out if you have any questions. More details and info session meeting links will be shared with teachers that register for the project.
- (Optional) Info sessions - March 10th and March 16th
- Kickoff Meeting for Teachers- March 22nd
- If you're interested in joining us for this project please register here
- National Virtual TECHademy
- March 3rd, 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm ET
- Register HERE
The Center for Inspired Teaching March Institute, “What Else Might Be Possible?”
Over the course of this FREE program, participants will learn techniques to balance achieving students’ academic goals with nurturing their inquiry, imagination, and integrity. Along with renewed motivation, participants will leave the Institute with four student-led projects ready for implementation in their classroom.
We’re offering three sessions of “What Else Might Be Possible?”:
Math Alliance Updates
MSRI Critical Issues in Mathematics Education workshop March 16-18, 2022, https://www.msri.org/workshops/1028, Initiating, Sustaining, and Researching Mathematics Department Transformation of Introductory Courses for STEM Majors.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), call for applications for the Mathematics Teacher Learning and Teaching Fellows Program - due March 1, 2022. The MTLT Fellows Program consists of a series of training sessions that guide new journal authors in developing a manuscript for journal submission, receiving and responding to feedback on a manuscript draft (s), and submitting a vetted manuscript for potential publication in MTLT. The primary goal of the program is to support teachers and educators who have presented at an NCTM annual meeting or state conference and who wish to contribute an article to MTLT but have not published in a journal before.
- Email your application for the MTLT Fellows Program to [email protected]
An application consists of the following
- A letter describing the meeting at which you presented and the meeting date; your presentation’s title and a short summary of hte main highlights; and a short explanation of your interest in the fellows program
- The slide deck of your presentation. If the file is too large for email (>10mb), please contact [email protected] for Dropbox information.
American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, “Cultivating Equitable Education Systems for the 21st Century”, April 21-26, 2022 San Diego, CA and virtual components - to register: https://www.aera.net/Events-Meetings/Annual-Meeting
- Video by AERA President, Dr. Na’ilah Suad Nasir, explaining the theme of the 2022 annual meeting: https://youtu.be/fgiYB4DiLz4